Global Accessibility Awareness Day (Thursday, May 18, 2017)
The campus community can recognize the sixth annual Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD) on Thursday, May 18, by engaging in several activities. The purpose of GAAD is to get everyone talking, thinking and learning about digital access and inclusion of people with various disabilities. You can:
- Learn about web accessibility in a 10-minute course
- Try the free SensusAccess online document conversion service
- Learn about new accessibility tools in Office 365
- Learn how to fix automatic captions in your YouTube video
- Explore the Magnifier and Speak Screen accessibility features in iOS
- Watch two-minute video stories of tech users with disabilities
Learn how Cal Poly is improving web accessibility in support of the CSU Accessible Technology Initiative (ATI) by taking a 10-minute, online course titled "The CSU-ATI and Cal Poly Web Accessibility," located in Skillsoft under the Staff and Faculty tab in the portal.
To access the course:
- Visit the Cal Poly Portal
- Click on the "Staff and Faculty Training" Tab
- Click on "Go to Skillsoft"
- Click on "The CSU-ATI and Cal Poly Web Accessibility"
- Questions? ATI@calpoly.edu / Cal Poly ATI Liaison - Craig Schultz
* If you are a student or are simply interested in additional training, please visit our resource list of free web accessibility trainings
Upload a document to SensusAccess, the free campus document conversion service. SensusAccess is hosted on a Kennedy Library website. A link to SensusAccess can be found on the bottom left side of every PolyLearn page. Turn a PDF into an mp3 or an image into an accessible PDF using the following steps:
Step 1) Click the "Choose file" button, then find the image or PDF on your hard drive that you want to convert; then click the "Upload" button.
Step 2) Select "Accessibility conversion" as the output format if converting from an image to an accessible PDF. (Select “mp3” if you want to convert your document to an mp3).
Step 3) Select "pdf - Tagged PDF" as the target format. A tagged PDF is a more accessible/readable one.
Step 4) Enter your Cal Poly email address where you want the converted "readable/tagged" PDF to be sent. Depending on the size of the PDF, you should receive an email within 15 minutes or an hour at most.
- Go to the View menu > Read Out Loud > Activate Read Out Loud. You can click on a paragraph to hear it read aloud, or choose to hear a page or the entire document read aloud.
Learn about the new accessibility features in Office 365:
- Immersive Reader in OneNote and Word online
- Accessibility Checker in Word PC/Mac and Word online
- Accessible templates in Word
Learn how to fix automatic captions in YouTube in a video tutorial by CTLT’s Dr Luanne Fose. You can also read step-by-step instructions on how to edit captions in YouTube. This strategy is an easy one to use for short videos (5-10 minutes or less) that you own.
Turn on the Magnifier and Speak Screen features in the Accessibility settings of your iPhone or iPad (Settings app > General > Accessibility). Use the Magnifier to zoom in on objects around you. Use Speak Screen to have onscreen text (e.g., web articles, emails, text messages) read aloud.
In honor of Global Accessibility Awareness Day, Apple has posted a series of seven videos called "Designed for Everyone." Each of these two-minute videos shows how real people make use of Mac, iOS and Apple Watch accessibility features from Switch Control to Siri to VoiceOver.
- Google's free introductory course
- Google free advanced on-line accessibility course. In this course you’ll get hands-on experience making web applications accessible.
- IDRC – Understanding Web Accessibility
- Faculty and staff can check out Lynda.com trainings on accessibility topics (Accessible PDFs, captioning) under the "Staff and Faculty Training" tab on the Portal
- The Teach Access Tutorial provides basic accessibility training for developers and designers.
- Start Building Accessible Web Applications (Egghead Videos). Subjects include Accessible Icon Buttons, Accessible Button Events, Building Forms with Accessibility in Mind, Headings and semantic structure for accessible web pages, and Focus management using CSS, HTML.
- Updated W3C Web Accessibility Tutorials are now available. These tutorials show you how to create web content that is accessible to people with disabilities and that improves the user experience for all users. They include general guidance and specific examples for HTML5 and WAI-ARIA
President Armstrong's Message about Accessibility
Cal Poly President Jeffrey D. Armstrong recorded this short video message for Cal Poly's celebration of Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD), which was held on Thursday, May 19th, 2016. The video includes English subtitles:
Digital Inclusivity Resource Kit (DIRK)
Here is a 1-page resource for creating accessible digital materials (DIRK PDF)