Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD) 2018 Recap
Special thanks to our campus and community partners who helped make GAAD 2018 possible and successful! The "official" total for in-person engagement on both days of the GAAD mini-conference was 426 people. This total includes keynote attendance, workshop attendance, and number of students that Derek addressed during class visits. A breakdown of the attendance at the GAAD events is listed below.
GAAD Keynote by Derek Featherstone ("Inclusive By Design"):
- Total = 260 (Cal Poly and community members)
- Cal Poly attendee breakdown:
- Student (n=129)
- Staff (n=66)
- Faculty (n=12)
- Admin/Mgr (n=2)
Class visits by Derek Featherstone:
- Total = 133 Cal Poly students
- Classes visited:
- CSC 486 "Human-Computer Interaction"
- GRC 339 "Web Design and Production"
- BUS 395 "Systems Design and Implementation" (two sections)
- Total = 33 (Cal Poly and community members)
- "Approaching Web Accessibility With A Beginner's Mind" by Jeff Van Kleeck, Academic Affairs
- "Assistive Technology Student Panel & Demo: Tools For Doing Everyday Activities in Diverse Ways" facilitated by John Lee, DRC
- "5 Habits For Creating Accessible Word Documents" by Pam Dougherty, CTLT
It is noteworthy that a total of 267 students participated in some capacity in all 3 events. Survey results reflect positive overall feedback about the keynote and workshops.
A more detailed look at attendance and survey results for the two-day GAAD mini-conference is available at the three links below:
- GAAD 2018 Keynote Attendance
- GAAD 2018 - Keynote Survey / Results
- GAAD 2018 - Workshops Survey / Results
Thanks again for the generous support and funding from our GAAD 2018 partners: Career Services Diversity Funding Committee; Office of University Diversity and Inclusion (OUDI); College of Liberal Arts (Dean's Office and GrC); Orfalea College of Business; Student Affairs; Disability Resource Center (DRC); Information Technology Services (ITS); University Marketing; Center for Teaching, Learning & Technology (CTLT); College of Architecture & Environmental Design; Alex and Faye Spanos Theatre; and San Luis Obispo County Access For All (SLO AFA).
Looking forward to seeing you again next year for GAAD 2019!
To learn about past GAAD celebrations at Cal Poly, please visit Prior Accessibility Events.
President Armstrong's Message about Accessibility
Cal Poly President Jeffrey D. Armstrong recorded this short video message for Cal Poly's first-ever celebration of Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD), which was held on Thursday, May 19th, 2016. The video includes English subtitles:
Digital Inclusivity Resource Kit (DIRK)
Here is a 1-page resource for creating accessible digital materials (DIRK PDF)